Oh Lord, Save Our Children


Bryan and I had the blessing of some sweet fellowship last night at one of our church's small groups. What an encouragement to our hearts!

I was looking through the chapter they are on in the book they are working through, "Christ's Call to Discipleship" by James Montgomery Boice, and I read a really sobering quote by JC Ryle. He said:

"Learn, then, that the mere possession of religious privileges will save no one's soul. You may have spiritual advantages of every description; you may live in the full sunshine of the richest opportunities and means of grace; you may enjoy the best of preaching and the choicest instruction; you may dwell in the midst of light, knowledge, holiness, and good company. All this may be, and yet you yourself may remain unconverted, and at last be lost for ever."

I couldn't help but think of our kids, as did others in the group last night. God calls us to "train up our children in the way they should go"...and we are to seek to be faithful to that calling. But, at the same time, we cannot save them. That is solely the work of God. There was a time when I took great pride in having a little group of "ducklings" that had learned to obey their mom. And, trust me, there is much to be said about obedience and having a home in order and I am thankful for the calm and joy that learned obedience has brought to our home. BUT, the Lord has also humbled me greatly.

You see, I often attributed their behavior to MY hard work, MY consistency, MY perseverance. Many times, I failed to recognize that it was the Lord who strengthened me to work hard, it was God's consistent love and faithfulness, and it was His grace and mercy that enabled my kids to obey. I wasn't always depending on God like I should have.

And now, they don't follow along like little ducklings the same way they used to. They are spreading their wings a bit more each day. With each new morning, I become more and more aware that they need Jesus...and only He can save them! I am seeing more and more that God has called me to one hundred percent faithful dependence on Him.

Yes, I am to "toil with all His energy that He powerfully works in me" as Paul writes in Colossians. Yes, I am to strive to "dazzle them with Jesus" each day, as Elyse Fitzpatrick beautifully describes it. BUT, in the end, the only one who can grab hold of their hearts is the Lord.

And all that leaves me with only one place to go...to the feet of my Savior...in prayerful dependence on Him. Pleading for the salvation of my kids...but also thanking Him for His sovereign plan and design...that their eternal souls do not rest on my shoulders, but in His and His hands alone.

It's beautiful, it's humbling, it's total dependence!

Comments

Know that this Nanny prays daily for the same thing...for all her grandchildren! Nothing is more important than the precious souls of those we love!!