Phillipian Absolutes


As I have been working through the book of Philippians, one thing that has struck me over and over again is how many "absolutes" there are.

An absolute, by definition, is something that is not limited by restrictions, qualifications, or exceptions.

In my study of Philippians, I have been so thankful to see the "absolutes" that God gives in relationship to Himself. It is so comforting to know that He is my all in all and will supply everything I need. But other absolutes that are given in this book are directed at ME and MY ATTITUDE. These bring a weight to my heart because I know that, in my own strength, I am incapable of "all", "in everything", and "always". I know how far short I fall of these absolutes and the battle that often rages in my own heart.

I love what Timothy Lane and Paul Tripp say in regards to this:

"We should reject any perspective on the Christian life that minimizes the war that rages in our hearts everyday - or ignores the fact that God is fighting for us and with us! The Biblical picture is that God meets us in the trials of life, and He doesn't just give us rules - He gives us His Son."

I CAN keep the "alls", the "in everythings", and the "always"...because, as a follower of Jesus, I no longer live but it's Christ living in me and through me. And He keeps every "all" and every "always" perfectly. What hope that gives me and, as a result, what joy there is when I read all those absolutes...knowing that they are possible in Christ!

And, just in case you were wondering about those absolutes, here are some to get you started!:

-not frightened in anything (1:28)
-do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit (2:3)
-do all things without grumbling or complaining (2:14)
-count everything loss compared to knowing Christ (3:7)
-rejoice in the Lord always (4:4)
-do not be anxious about anything (4:6)
-in everything pray and give thanks (4:6)
-be content in whatever situation I am in (4:11)
-in any and every circumstance...I can do all things through Him who gives me strength (4:12-13)
-and my God will supply every need of yours (4:19)

Comments