Facebook


Yesterday, I entered the world of Facebook. As my sister-in-law teasingly said, "Welcome to 2012". :)

Truth is, there have been a few reasons why I have not been an active part of Facebook:

1) I struggle with the sin of people pleasing....and to open up my life to that many more people who I may let down by not emailing or responding to in a timely matter, etc...just overwhelmed me a bit.

2)My life can overwhelm me a bit. :) My six children are precious gifts, but they require a lot of emotional, spiritual, and physical energy....and the fight against my own flesh...to daily die to self...is a raging battle. I didn't want Facebook to distract me more than I already am.

3)Our church family has always been so important to us. I have always wanted to be available to those specific people and the needs in their lives.  I wasn't sure how to "be all here" as Elizabeth Elliot once said, and still be in many other places all over the US (and Canada!) at the same time.

4)I am easily distracted. One minute, I am looking for a recipe on-line and the next I am returning an email and forgetting all about getting dinner ready. Not good....and Facebook felt like a vortex that would suck me in, take hours of my life, and spit me out on a pile of unwashed laundry, a kitchen full of dirty dishes, and a husband who wondered what happened to his wife!:)

Guess what?

All those things are still realities. All those things could still happen if I am not careful, intentional, and purposeful. In fact, I have a feeling all those things WILL happen at one time or another because I can't get rid of my sinful flesh no matter how much I would like to.

But it's worth the "risk".

Why?

Because there are only two things that will last forever....the souls of men and the Word of God....and Facebook, at it's best, is all about connecting with those souls. And every connection with others is an opportunity to exalt Christ and build each other up through the Word of God. And that is not a waste, it's an investment...an eternal investment.

I'm in!


Comments

AMEN to all of the above. I struggle with the same issues.........and have come to the same conclusion!
Marie Burns
Jen L said…
I never wanted to be on Facebook either. It is a good tool to keep in touch with others out of your area. And also get info to lots of people at once. It is also bad when you find every little detail of what others are doing. Good thing is you can block the stuff that wastes time! See ya there!
Anonymous said…
What a great perspective. It wasn't until reading your post that I realized how useful FB can be for the kingdom. It's definitely given me a new outlook on it. Blessings!