Happy Birthday Caleb!

What a wonderful day we had! Caleb turned 7 today and we all got to celebrate by going to church! What is more special than sharing your special day with, not only your family...but your whole church family, too! We also got to spend the day with a dear missionary. Dean Kirshner, who works for a really neat ministry, Gospelink, spent the day at our church and the afternoon at our home. He had a precious impact on all of us, especially our boys. God used him, his life, his words, his actions, as a sweet gift, not only to Caleb, but to all of us today!

I wish you all could have sat around our table, this afternoon, while Caleb read his cards and opened his gifts. It was Caleb at his best and he kept us in fits of laughter the whole time. I'll do my best to share:

His Gramps and Nanny sent him a GREAT card describing a "grandson"...Caleb just had a hard time reading some of the words...

"He's charming and he's pleasant. He's whitey and he's funny." We all started giggling because Caleb is not white-y at all...he'll be the first one to tell you he's "brown". The word was "witty" by the way. :)

"He's filled with so much angry..." Yep...busted out laughing again...the word was "energy" not angry.

Then my brother and his wife sent the perfect card for a 7 year old boy:

"Nephew, you're great just the way you are, so don't change a thing....well, your underwear...but other than that, don't change a thing."

Well...the second he read the word "underwear" he couldn't stop giggling....which got us all laughing.

Then there was my parent's card where my mom wrote, "We love you soooo much". Caleb thought the "s" was actually the number "5" and so he read, "I love you 5,000 much". He was totally confused and we were cracking up!

One of the gifts they gave him was a CD. Once he opened it up, he read the title, "Sing Over Me: worship songs and loobalubes. :) The word was "lullabies", but we just might have to rename it forever after that one!:)

That was a glimpse...I know there were other moments of laughter...but I can't get my pea-brain to recall them!

That's Caleb...so full of life, full of laughter, and full of smiles. And those big brown eyes and lashes that go on for miles just makes you want to "smoosh" him in hugs!:)

Caleb is also very sensitive and very sweet. He got an ipod touch for his birthday (thanks to saved up Christmas money that he didn't know I stashed away...and all the money from his relatives). He had NO idea (we told him he was too young for one :)). Well, anyway, I wrapped it in a box that showed baby blocks on the outside (they had been given to my little niece for Christmas). So, as he unwrapped it, I started talking about how fun the blocks would be for Caleb and asked what he would do with them. He was precious. Instead of showing an attitude of ingratitude or irritation over such a "baby" gift...he chose his words carefully and said, "I don't remember wanting them." :) Oh, the look on his face when he realized there were no blocks in his box!:)

Dear Caleb,

My sweet, smiley little bean! It's hard to believe you are 7 years old. I actually felt a bit of sadness wash over me when I realized that I could throw away the "7 candle" because I would not need it anymore! In some ways, you are still the "baby" of the family, but, in other ways, you have grown up so much!

Though one of your favorite phrases is still, " I do not understand" :), I am thankful for the many things you DO understand! I can't believe you will be going into second grade next year (though you did all second grade work but math this year)! God has given you a very smart mind.

He has also given you a love for music and, day in and day out, it's a blessing to hear you sing praises to Him at the top of your little lungs! You may not always have the words right...but God knows your heart...and it gives mom something extra to laugh about!:) I pray that He would continue to give you a heart for music and that Dad and I would have wisdom to know how to best help you pursue it!

You have a giggle that is contagious and an enthusiasm that makes us all smile. My prayer, dear boy of mine, is that God would give you a deep, abiding "enthusiasm" for HIM. That you would grow to love Him with all your heart and that, with your ability to read, God's Word would not just be consonants and vowels strung together...but words that would sink deep into your heart and bear fruit.

In your birthday card from your Sunday School teacher, she shared with you traits and verses about Caleb in the Bible...and her prayer for you to be like Caleb. I would echo her precious thoughts....

Caleb, you tend to be a follower more than a leader, but I pray that God would grow you up to be a courageous leader. That you would follow God no matter what others might be doing. That you would trust Him and obey Him...even if you are the only one!

Happy Birthday, buddy...I love you!

love,
Mom

Comments

Michelle P said…
Happy Birthday Caleb! We wish we could've been there to celebrate with you, but we appreciate Mom's play-by-play recap of all the funny moments! We love you!
I agree with Aunt Michelle ... it would have been so much fun to share those funny moments with you. But even more, to share your very special day with you!! It was such a treat to talk with you and you sure sounded as though you were enjoying that very special day celebrating you! Love you buddy, Nanny & Gramps