Happy Birthday America!

We have spent the last 2 years in Canada on the 4th of July...so it was fun to be back and part of the "action"!

What was even more special was that it was Samuel and Caleb's FIRST time celebrating the 4th even though we adopted them almost 3 years ago.

We enjoyed the morning parade in our small town...and enjoyed watching the fireworks with church family!







"...I am not 'proud to be an American.' To be precise, I am not proud because I am an American. I am not proud because pride is for those things that we accomplish, those achievements for which we deserve credit. How did I end up an American? I was born one, and I would be a fool to be proud of something for which I can take no credit. My Americanism was granted to me and is a gift, not a status. That does not make me unpatriotic. Patriotism ought not to be a prideful touting of our country’s greatness but rather a joyful exclamation of it. My parade going and grilled-meat eating are not hypocritical. They are expressions of thankfulness. I am thankful...In all, we ought to be humbled on this Independence Day. This American life we lead is an undeserved opportunity, and for most of us, one that we did not choose. We did not find it, neither did we claim the right to it—we were given it as a gift." ~Barnabas Piper, "Thankful and humble to be an American"

Comments

Hey Kristin! I know it's been a few months now, but I pray all is well w/ you guys and that you are loving your new home & home-town! Just caught up a bit on your blog, and I'm so happy for you guys with where the Lord has brought you! An exciting new chapter!...