For everything there is a season...

...and a time for every matter under Heaven.  Eccl. 3:1

There have been times in my life where certain seasons felt so long...like a winter that never gave way to spring. And other seasons have flown by so fast that there has been little time for pondering or writing...and sometimes barely enough time to get a picture out of it! These last couple of months, the seasons have felt like the waves of the ocean....as soon as one rolls in, there is another one chasing it down!

June was a season of moving....a season I pray I don't see again for a very long time!!! July brought VBS and a sweet time of getting to serve alongside our dear church family. Nothing binds hearts together better than serving together! Here is a fun snapshot of our VBS week (thanks, Kelly!):

First Baptist Church VBS 2012

July also marked 3 years in a season we never want to end....our adoption. Three years ago, we met our boys for the first time and brought them home 5 days later. We can't imagine life without them...literally. Only pictures remind me that there was once only "four"! :)

The month of July was also a sweet month of reuniting and reconnecting. My grandmother gave us a gift that was truly priceless...the gift of time...time with her, my aunt and cousin, my parents, and all my siblings and their family (minus one brother). That time came by way of a house that comfortably accommodated all 24 of us! So thankful for the family God has given me...and so thankful that one of God's gifts is laughter....we enjoyed plenty of that on our reunion in Sun River, OR. We also enjoyed plenty of sun, games, kayaking, paddle boarding, river tubing, good food, great coffee, rest, and sweet conversations!
I also entered a new season at the end of July....my 33rd season of life. I can only smile and put my hands up trying to speculate what God has in store for me in the coming year. It's already different than what I thought it would be!

You see, by the time August "rolled around", I was neck deep in school curriculum....trying to figure out what I wanted to use to teach my kids as we were headed back into the world of homeschooling. At least, that was my plan. God often uses subtle and not so subtle situations to remind me Who is really in control! Often I live as "master" and forget that I am but a lowly slave serving a mighty Master. I often forget, but I'm not sure why....He told me as plain as day in Isaiah 55:8-9:

"For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, declares the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts."

And, one of my favorites is found in Romans 11:33-36:

"Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! “For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor?” “Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?” For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen."

This past week, my plans for homeschooling were replaced by what we believe to be God's plans of school...for our six kids plus one...me! On Wednesday, I was hired to be a teacher's assistant at Horizon Christian School (the school our kids finished out the year at when we moved here).  I would be lying if I didn't tell you that I am a bit nervous. How to juggle school and home, homework and housework, dinner and lunches, laundry and ministry. There will be blog posts on these topics, I am sure. But I can assure you that none of them will ever be titled, "How to do it all". I already know that I can't. I already know that there will be days I will feel very weak. But I also know that that is where God wants me to be EVERY day. 

"My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness."  2 Corinthians 12:9 

I am excited, too! I get to go to school with my kids, work with a precious teacher, minister to lots of little souls, and be a part of the community in a new way!

I am not the only one who "got a job" this week....my husband did, too! On Saturday, Bryan was hired to play. Okay...not really...but tomorrow he starts working for "Hood River WaterPlay" on a part-time basis. It will be a busy time for him as he works both at the church and down at the water...but we are so thankful for how the Lord has provided...and that it's a job that Bryan will enjoy...working with people and the water!:)

We are walking into a season of "new and unkown"...but we are walking with a God who is from the beginning and not only knows all...but planned it all!

"The LORD Almighty has sworn, "Surely, as I have planned, so it will be, and as I have purposed, so it will stand."    Isaiah 14:24

I am so thankful for the seasons that God gives us, so thankful for the time He allows us. There are so many sweet and precious gifts in this life amidst the sin. So many moments of joy and laughter amidst the pain. To think that this life is the worst it is ever going to get for the believer just blows me away. Heaven is going to be beyond our wildest dreams! No wonder God says in 1 Corinthians 2:9,

"No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love Him"

The best season is yet to come!!!

"O LORD, you are my God; I will exalt you and praise your name, for in perfect faithfulness you have done marvelous things, things planned long ago."    Isaiah 25:1





 






Comments

Michelle P said…
Wow, I don't talk to you in two weeks and that much happens?!?!? CRAZY!! I am SOOO excited about the kids getting to go back to Horizon!!! :) And you will be an amazing teacher's assistant, that's for sure! She will be a blessed teacher! And SO thankful for Bryan's job too! Wow, what a blessing. Sounds like this will be a busy season for you guys-- will be praying for you! But so excited to see how God is placing you in "visible" places where you'll be meeting new people...What great opportunities!
love you guys!
Anonymous said…
I like the statement, that is where God wants me EVERY day. I ponder your thoughts as I sit here at the nurses station working while also planning meals for the week, scheduling dr appointments, and writing school supply lists. So true, that we are not the master, but how sweet it is that God chose me to be His servant everyday. No where else I would rather be:) elizabeth henderson
Kristin!---it's so good to "hear" from you again! Been wondering how things were going w/ you guys since you hadn't posted anything in so long! WOW, girl! Lots of changes going on! : ). I loved all the Scriptures you used throughout your post, as you shared all the interesting things God is doing in your lives. As always, your writing and sharing is such an encouragement to me.

Can't wait to hear how things go at the school for you! They will truly be blessed to have you there! ; ). (And happy belated birthday, you young thing!!)