Take your pick

 Accepting the job at Horizon also meant accepting the reality that life was going to be a bit crazier. Hmmm....scratch that. We were already one crazy bunch to begin with:). I guess the better word would be busier...less time for me to get the same amount of stuff done.

Delegation was in order!

I'll be honest, though. I am not the best delegator. I like things done a certain way, so I end up doing a lot more myself. Not good. In my desire for "control" I am not equipping my kids with basic skills that they need to learn.

Let the equipping commence!

We started out with laundry. We had lessons on lights and darks, water temps, stain removers, lint traps, and more. They were not super inspired, but I was super excited! :) The girls are responsible for doing their laundry together and the 4 boys are responsible for theirs (Micah and Samuel bear the brunt of it right now). They are still learning...and they are still forgetting. Caleb wore sandals (closed toe, of course :)) to school on Wednesday not because he wanted to, but because he had no socks! Guess what the boys were doing Wednesday night? :) All in all, they have caught on fairly well, and folding parties are the new "rage" in our house. :)

Not having to do laundry for the kids is a huge blessing...but I knew I needed a bit more help. Each of my kids have already been assigned a "night" during the week that they have to help with dinner....setting the table, emptying and loading the dishwasher, cleaning up after dinner with Bryan...and I am so thankful for that help each night; but the dreaded "lunches" loomed large.

Not anymore!

I came up with a system that is working REALLY well. We all sat down and made up a list of lunches that they like to eat and can make on their own:

-Peanut Butter and Jelly  -Salami and Cheese Sandwiches  -Quesadillas  -Bean and Cheese Burritos

-Cup of Noodles  -Bagels with Cream Cheese  -Macaroni and Cheese  -Hummus with Tortilla Chips

-Cheese and Crackers  -Yogurt   -Leftovers from Dinner

I typed up this list and taped it to the inside of the pantry door so they can see it each day and get ideas. Next, I filled up 3 bins: one with different types of granola bars, one with bags of chips, goldfish, pretzels, etc..., and one with small packs of candy and fruit snacks for dessert.

Here is what it looks like....the kids figure out what they want to make from the list for lunch and then pick one thing from each bin to add to their lunch...as well as a piece of fruit and/or string cheese from the fridge. Most of them make their lunches as soon as they get home from school...they want to get the "cream of the crop" from the bins as I only fill the bins once a week! :)

It's working, it's delegating, it's equipping....and the same stuff IS getting done in the amount of time we have. And, slowly but surely, the kids ARE becoming more and more responsible, and that is a sweet blessing to this momma's heart!

I am so thankful to the Lord for the gift of time...and so thankful that, although there seems to be less of it available in this season of life, there is still enough to accomplish what is needed...and there is still times of rest. It's all grace. Glorious grace!


Comments