The car ride home

The kids take after Bryan in many ways...but ALL of them seem to have inherited the "gift of gab" from me. It's a blessing to know what is on our kid's hearts and what is going on in their lives....but when it all comes at once, it's overwhelming!!!

Imagine six kids, all in one car, wanting to share a school day full of stories, irritations, recess time,  fun, homework, their quizes and tests, and just about a bazillion other things....ALL AT THE SAME TIME!!! Yep, it's not a pretty sight or sound!

So, to spare myself a major headache each day around 3 pm...and to still let my kids know that I care about their lives and their day....I came up with a plan. Or maybe I heard it from someone else at some point, forgot, and now think I am pretty smart!:)

On the ride home, each kiddo is allowed to share 2 things with the whole family: one thing they liked about the day and one thing they didn't like about the day (or two things they liked!). They have to do it all in just a few sentences. I know it may seem weird that I allow them to share one thing that they didn't like about the day....like I really need to help the kids out in the grumbling and complaining department, right?!

Yet, I have found that question to be most helpful. Since they are not allowed to elaborate during their turn, there is little room for gossip but much room to gain insight into a possible friendship problem, a needed heart adjustment, some extra hugs and love at home, school assignments that need special attention, and a myriad of other issues that might have otherwise gone unnoticed or unspoken.

The ride home has turned into a great time of interaction! By the time everyone has had their turn, we are about 5 minutes from home. Those 5 minutes can get a bit loud as they all start talking to each other...but often, those conversations are sparked by the sharing that took place...and I have been blessed to hear them encourage one another, give each other advice, or take an interest in something that was previously shared. They are growing up and engaging in each other's lives in new and deeper ways that make this mommy's heart swell! (And, lest you think we are some type of perfect family, as they grow, they are also arguing with each other in new and deeper ways, too!)

So, today, I am thanking the Lord for our 20 minute commute. It may cost $50 in gas a week....but, as the commercial goes, some things really are priceless!

"Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil."  Ephesians 5:15-16






Comments

Kristin

Just looking at your cartoon of the car full of kids makes my solo ride home seem sweet :) cause once I step inside the house, I get to hear the stories all over again. Today, when I arrived home Faith and Titus couldn't wait to tell me that they were on Fox News TV. The station visited the school today because of the smoke from the fires (which kept the kids from outdoor recess). They were so excited about their TV appearance that I had to watch the clip immediately! However, because the news channel is not allowed to show the faces of minors, all I got to see was their legs and a basketball going through the hoop (that they both claimed was their shot). Then they wanted me to make a DVD of the clip so they could share it with friends and family. Oh Lord, forgive me the times I grumble and complain. Help me to be like my grandkids who are so happy just to have their legs on TV :)