Not A Fire, But A Light

A couple of days ago, the kids and I were talking about our speech. We talked about how, in Scripture, our words can be a fire...destroying everything in it's path. Our words can also be like that of the Pharisees...leavening the whole batch of conversation. In the context of the gospels...that leaven was a bad thing...as they were teaching the traditions of man as though they were the commands of God (Matt. 15:9).

But, as I read Psalm 34, I couldn't help but see the beauty of words spoken in a way that honors the Lord and the aroma they can be to those around us!

"I will praise the Lord at all times; His praise will always be on my lips. I will boast in the Lord; the humble will hear and be glad. Proclaim with me the Lord's greatness; let us exalt His name together."
Psalm 34:1-3

I love the progression of these first 3 verses. It starts with our own hearts being full of praise to the Lord....not sometimes, not in pockets throughout the day, but at ALL times. As we live this life of praise, it results in OTHERS hearing and their hearts becoming happy in Christ, which leads to them giving praise to the Lord, as well. This type of life does not result in forest fires...but results in lights shining in the midst of darkness as we proclaim the one who called us out of darkness and into His marvelous light!

"I proclaim righteousness in the great assembly; see, I do not keep my mouth closed - as you know, Lord. I did not hide Your righteousness in my heart; I spoke about Your faithfulness and salvation; I did not conceal Your constant love and truth from the great assembly." Psalm 40:9-10

Comments