Beautiful Tassels!

"The Lord said to Moses, "Speak to the Israelites and tell them that throughout their generations they are to make tassels for the corners of their garments, and put a blue cord on the tassel at each corner. These will serve as tassels for you to look at, so that you may remember all the Lord's commands and obey them and not become unfaithful by following your own heart and your own eyes. This way you will remember and obey all My commands and be holy to your God. I am the Lord your God who brought you out of the land of Egypt to be your God; I am the Lord your God." Numbers 15:37-41



Whenever I think about tassels and robes in the Bible, it usually stirs up a negative connotation. I think of the many rebukes that Jesus gave the Pharisees in regards to the long robes they wore. They paraded around to be seen as holy and worthy of honor by men, while their hearts were far from the Lord.

Yet, the above passage speaks to the heart of what these robes and tassels were all about. God commanded them to attach these tassels to their clothes as a daily remembrance of God's commands. As a daily reminder of their need to walk in faithful dependence to their great God. And they were even a reminder of warning at how quick their hearts and eyes could be to run after other idols, to worship something other than God.

As I read, I found myself examining my own life. I found myself looking for tassels that I have attached to the fabric of my days that help me to REMEMBER the Lord, to OBEY His precious commands, and to FLEE from the desires of my flesh, the idols that I am so easily tempted to worship and run after each day. Tassles such as: daily time in the Word of God, dependent prayer, songs of praise, reading articles/books of Biblical encouragement, messages/podcasts of instruction, fellowship with brothers and sisters in Christ, Bible memorization, and then there are all the many nuances of how these things might play out each day...the tassle possibilities are endless! :)

May we be found as those who lives are full of tassles...of many kinds and many colors...all of them beautifying the fabric of our lives to the praise of God's glory!

Comments