Books, Books, and More Books!


"Now there are also many other things that Jesus did. Were every one of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written." John 21:25




As a book lover, I can't help but smile big at this verse. It shows the greatness of our Lord in a way that should boggle our minds! 

Not that long ago, a friend asked me for some book recommendations and I thought it might be worthwhile to post some of our/my favorites. That certainly doesn't mean these are the best books out there on a given subject (my pile of "want to read" books seems to grow daily!) but this is some of what we have read and come across in our years of ministry that has blessed and encouraged our own hearts, as well as those we have ministered to. Lord willing, a decade from now....I will have many more to add to this list! :) 

Christian Living:

Trusting God by Jerry Bridges

Praying the Bible by Donald Whitney

Crazy Busy by Kevin DeYoung

Saved Without a Doubt by John MacArthur

The Enemy Within by Kris Lungard

Adopted for Life by Russell Moore



Marriage: 

What Did You Expect? by Paul Tripp

When Sinners Say I Do by Dave Harvey



For Women: 

Girls Gone Wise in a World Gone Wild by Mary Kassian

Fearlessly Feminine by Jani Ortlund

Feminine Appeal by Carolyn Mahaney

Fierce Women by Kimberly Wagner

Women of the Word by Jen Wilkin (can't wait to read her newest book: None Like Him!)

Practical Theology for Women by Wendy Alsup

The Excellent Wife by Martha Peace

Stepping Heavenward by Elizabeth Prentiss (a beautiful fiction book!)

Womanly Dominion by Mark Chanski



For Moms: 

Glimpses of Grace by Gloria Furman ( a must have!)

Together by Carrie Ward

Don't Make Me Count to Three by Ginger Hubbard


For Parents: 

Gospel-Powered Parenting by William Farley

Everyday Talk by John Younts

You Never Stop Being A Parent by Jim Newheiser and Elyse Fitzpatrick

(Note: Bryan would probably have a couple more pages of books, if I gave him the floor!;) )












Comments

Juli said…
Oh dear. Now my want-to-read- list has increased :)

Btw, I second, third, and fourth your recommendation of Trusting God by Jerry Bridges. I read that after a staff member of mine had a still birth followed by a miscarriage. I struggled with the fairness of it all and this book opened my eyes to how God is faithful in the midst of things that seem unfair.

Juli