Praying the Bible

When I was a "wee one" (and I do mean in age...as many of you would still say I am "wee" in stature!), I was taught that there are sins of commission and sins of omission. Or, in other words, we sin not only by doing what we shouldn't do but also by not doing what we should do. Which means, when you start thinking you are doing pretty good because of the sin you are not committing, it's a great time to be completely humbled as you think about the things you should be doing but aren't (example: LOVE your enemies, PRAY for them, and BLESS them....need I say more?!:) ).

Anyway, this concept of sinning by what we don't do is clearly seen in words spoken by Samuel in I Samuel. He said, "Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the Lord by ceasing to pray for you, and I will instruct you in the good and the right way." (I Samuel 12:23)  

It is sin to not pray.

It is sin to not pray.

No...that is not a typo, I just had to repeat it twice so the weight of it would sink into my own heart and yours. So often I hear about how prayer is a struggle for many believers...and it's easy for me to feel "comfortable" with my own struggles because...well....hey, it's not just me, after all.

But that is the wrong focus...that's focusing on others instead of fixing my eyes on Christ and seeking to walk worthy of my calling...to obey Him in all regards.  Many times in Scripture, He calls you and me to pray without ceasing. To live a life in constant communion with Him. To depend on Him in the big things and in all the little mundane things that fill up our days.


My heart cried out to the Lord for help, and He so graciously gave me help...in the form of a book! :) I'd like to commend to you, "Praying the Bible" by Donald Whitney. I can't say enough good things about it! It's only 112 pages but, in the words of Albert Mohler,"This little book is explosive and powerful".  I found my spirit rejoicing as I was reminded and encouraged to "seek the Lord at all times" using God's own Words as a template! Buy it for yourself for Mother's Day....your soul will be blessed...and your family will be blessed as you faithfully lift them up before the throne of grace, guided by Gods very Words of grace!


"I love the Lord, because He has heard my voice and my pleas for mercy. Because He inclined His ear to me, therefore I will call on Him as long as I live." Psalm 116:1-2 










Comments