A Prayer for My Boys



I love this description of David: 

"One of the young men answered, "Behold, I have seen a son of Jesse the Bethlehemite, who is skillful in playing, a man of valor, a man of war, prudent in speech, and a man of good presence, and the Lord is with him."  I Samuel 16:18

And, as I contemplated that description, I couldn't help but begin praying those characteristics for my boys. That they would grow into: 

- men of valor: that they would show great courage and strength in the Lord in the midst of dangerous and difficult times. That they would lead and lead well. "Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love." 1 Cor. 16:13-14

- men of war: though they may not fight physical battles as David did, I pray that they would recognize, through the power of the Holy Spirit, that there is a real spiritual war raging against the forces of hell and that they would be quick to "Destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ." 2 Cor. 10:5

- men of prudent speech: oh, that my boys would speak wisely and with great discernment! When they open their mouth, I pray that their "speech (would) always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that (they) may know how (they) ought to answer each person." Col. 4:6

- men of good presence: this phrase speaks to the idea of being handsome. Of course, I might be a bit biased, but I do think I have quite the handsome crew...but more than their concern for how they look, I pray that they would seek to develop genuine Christ-like character. That they would walk blamelessly and do what is right, speaking truth in their heart (Psalm 15:2) "for the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7b

- men in whom the Lord is with: above all, the prayer of my heart is that the Lord would save all my boys...that they would be able to rest in the reality that He will never leave them or forsake them and that they could confidently say, "The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?" Hebrews 13:5b-6 May each one echo the words of David when he said, "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever." Psalm 23:6

This was the description of David...and I pray that these words will one day be used to describe Micah, Samuel, Titus and Caleb, too! 

Comments

Lori Schneider said…
What a great and encouraging post Kristin! Thank you for sharing these words of wisdom.