Duty at the Border

I have to go across the border tomorrow…and I’m dreading it. It’s not the going. It’s the coming back. And no, it’s not because I don’t like Canada. :) It’s because there is a border that I have to cross to get back. A border that wants me to pay duty on items I am bringing back from the United States. Tomorrow, I’m bringing back a hefty dollar amount worth of books for our ladies bible study. It’s unlikely they will look favorably upon me and let me go on my merry way home, although God could allow just that. More than likely, they will write my purchases on a slip and send me in to pay duty (taxes) on the amount I am declaring. My hands will start shaking, my heart will start pounding. The border is one of my very least favorite places to visit! 

Oh, I miss the days of sitting at my computer, hopping on Amazon and within a few clicks of a button having the item ordered with the promise of a two-day delivery to my house. No border, no duty, no heart pounding or shaking hands. Free. Paid for. No strings attached. Yep…I had it pretty good. :) 

As I dreamed about Amazon Prime today and prepared my heart for the border tomorrow, I couldn’t help but think how it reminded me a bit of salvation and sanctification. Do you remember when the Lord saved you? Or maybe it was like the sunrise…you can’t put a finger on the day or the time. But, what you do know for certain is that He wooed you, drew you and claimed you…and it was a glorious rising from the dead! Remember the freedom you felt? 

“My chains are gone. I’ve been set free. My God, my Savior has ransomed me!” 

You understood that the sacrifice Jesus made when He gave His life was enough to cover every sin you ever committed and every sin you would ever commit. And He also obeyed perfectly whereas failure was the only thing you seemed to do perfectly. Jerry Bridges said it this way in regards to how God looks at you, when you are saved: “Just as if I never sinned and just as if I always obeyed”. Because, when God looks at you, He sees His precious Son. 

“For our sake He made Him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God.” 2 Corinthians 5:21

Our debt has been cancelled. Nailed to the cross. Every trespass forgiven. We are free. 

My Amazon Prime is just a shadow of this beautiful substance….but it reminded me of it, none-the-less. 

Sometimes, though, I feel like my own flesh is similar to the border: attaching duty to the freedom I have in Christ, asking for more than what Christ has already paid. Making my heart pound and my hands shake at what I have not done for Christ today. I feel that I need more than the gift He gave me in His Son for Him to be satisfied with me, for Him to call me His child. And, all of a sudden, standing before the God of my salvation becomes a place of guilt, a place I’d rather not visit. 

The border is just a shadow of the ugly substance called pride that resides in my heart and tells me I hold sanctification in my own hands. The pride that tells me God will be most pleased when I do X, Y and Z and pay the duty I owe.

“You foolish Galatians!…Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now going to be made complete by the flesh?” (Galatians 3:1,3)

“For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery….For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.” (Galatians 5:1, 13)

Jesus paid it all! The border line that once separated me from God has been removed, the curtain has been torn in two. 

“Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.” (Hebrews 4:16)

No matter how much duty I may pay to the Canadian government tomorrow, my soul can rest secure. The eternal duty I owe, that I could never pay, has been paid in full. I am ransomed and redeemed! 

There is no duty…only devotion and delight!

"Only fear the LORD and serve Him in truth with all your heart; for consider what great things He has done for you.” 1 Samuel 12:24





Comments

Unknown said…
Hey lady, I don't think they can charge duty on books (especially if printed in the US) unless they are for re-sale purposes! Just FYI
Kristin said…
Thanks for the heads up! :) I looked into it and it seems like it could go both ways...I'll ask when I get to the border...maybe they will have mercy! :)