A Flight, A Seat, A Tactic

I had the amazing blessing, along with my mom, of visiting my sister and her family this past week. My nieces and nephews are all a decade younger than my own crew...and it was a joy to enter the world of endless books to be read, the "Memory Game" to be conquered, and the screams and squeals that come so easily from those still in the early stages of learning what self control is. Of course, I was also able to polish up on my swing pushing skills and a hand clapping game that I had long forgotten about. It is such a gift to be an aunt! Of course, it's also an AMAZING treasure to have a sister and mom that you can call some of your most favorite people in the whole world and, even more beautiful, sisters-in-Christ. Laughter abounded, giggles were in great supply, and the comfortableness of just "being" together was a balm to my own soul! The house of memories continues to be built and it's quite the beauty, by the grace of God.



While I so looked forward to being back in my husband's arms and seeing my own precious kiddos...it was hard to leave. But a hard goodbye just makes for a sweeter hello the next time the Lord allows us to see each other again. And there are times the pain of goodbyes is simply a reflection of the preciousness of the relationships...and that is sweet fruit to thank God for!

Each flight, going and coming back, I prayed that the Lord would keep me from having a selfish heart with my nose glued to a book, and would help me to look for and pursue conversations with those I sat next to. More and more, the Lord is impressing on my heart how fragile life is and how long forever will be. Each person we see, day by day, represents a soul that will spend all of eternity in Heaven or Hell; and I have grown way too comfortable putting my head down, "minding my own business",  and thinking it is someone else's job to reach that particular soul with the saving Gospel of Jesus Christ.


My two flights heading out to Kansas were completely full except for the seat next to me. Seriously! It was as though the Lord was giving me a thumbs up to getting lost in a book after all ;) On the way back, my first flight plopped me next to a guy who had headphones glued to his head from beginning to end. I got the hint. And I started to wonder if my prayers for boldness and for opportunities were going to be answered another day in another way. I got comfortable in my seat for the final flight of the trip only to find out they had double booked that particular seat and I had to move...to the back of the plane. You know, the row of seats right in front of the bathroom. Always fun. I could tell the gal right across from me was not super happy to be sitting where she was herself. Apparently, there was a mix up with her ticket as well. As I would soon learn, it was clearly a Divine "mix-up" for both of us. :)

Over the course of 2 hours....and lots of conversations ranging from politics to dogs to car accidents to raising children, I was able to share the Gospel with this gal. The truths from God's Word didn't always come out the way I wanted, my shirt was wet with sweat, and short "help me Lord" prayers were continually flowing from the lips of my thoughts. Looking back, there are some things I would have said different, some things I wish I would have said, and a few things I wish I had not said...but my heart was so very thankful to introduce her to the Love of my life and the only One who can save her soul and rescue her. Her name is Lisa, her soul is still lost...would you pray for her?

Something else I was thankful for was that the Lord brought to mind things I have been learning and helped me put them into practice. I had a great "teacher" last month who gave me some simple tools to grab on to as I seek to reach out and start conversations with others. Greg Koukl wrote a book called "Tactics: A game plan for discussing your Christian convictions" and I am thankful for his words, his encouragements, and some of the steps he shared. Of course, the second half of the book was filled with logical types of "apologetic arguments" and I started to feel like I was drowning in the deep end. Apparently logic does not occupy a lot of my brain matter ;) Either way, being thrown into the deep end forces you to swim with intensity and works muscles you might not otherwise work...so, it's worth the read from cover to cover if you ask me! :)

He strongly encouraged asking questions...a pattern that Christ employed often...and he suggested some great questions to ask. Those questions came back to me and were helpful in better understanding what Lisa believed and where she was coming from...and even helped HER have to think through why she believed what she believed. As a result of those questions, she ended up admitting her authority came from her own opinion, whereas I sought to take her to the authority of Scripture in showing what I believed and why. And don't start thinking highly of me...I'm just a student trying to apply what I am learning....and sweating through layers of clothing in the process! ;)

One of my most favorite things I learned from Mr. Koukl came in Chapter 2:

"I encourage you to consider the strategy I use when God opens a door of opportunity for me. I pray quickly for wisdom, then ask myself this: What one thing can I say in this circumstance, what one question can I ask, what seed can I plant that will get the other person thinking? Then I simply try to put a stone in the person's shoe.....Be content to plant a seed that might later flourish under God's sovereign care."

It was one flight, it was one seat, and it was one tactic...to put a stone in her shoe. I pray the Lord does not allow her to find rest, until she finds rest in Him! And I pray that the Lord would continue to prompt me...whether it be a gentle nudge or a kick in the pants...to "proclaim the excellencies of Him who called us out of darkness into His marvelous light."

There are lots of stones to be dropped, lots of seeds to be sown...may we be those who live moment by moment with hands full of both!




Comments