How to be Mature

If I asked, "Do you desire to be mature, complete, and lack nothing"...what would you say?

I'm pretty sure your answer would be...absolutely, sign me up! After all, isn't that the desire of all true believers...to be mature in Christ, complete in Him, lacking nothing because Jesus is enough for you?!

God promises to accomplish this very thing in our lives. The reality of this is staggering. The gift this is to our own hearts is amazing!

We just don't like the vehicle it comes through:

"Consider it great joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you experience various trials, because you know that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its full effect, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking nothing."                            James 1:2-4

Trials test our faith, show us what lens we are viewing the world through so we see more clearly where we need to repent, and draw us into the arms of Jesus...and sometimes that cycle can feel like it repeats itself over and over again, even in a single day! But, as hard and wearisome as it can be, the Bible says trials are producing endurance in us. And that endurance blossoms into the beautiful flower of maturity in Christ...of being able to utter the words of the Psalmist:

"The Lord is my Shepherd; I have what I need." Psalm 23:1

and

"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart, my portion forever."   Psalm 73:26

As hard as it is for our brains to even begin to comprehend, God uses trials...the very things that we would run from if we could...as gifts of grace to make us exactly what we cry out to be! And so, we lift our voices in praise to the Giver of all good gifts, while still honestly crying out, "I believe. Help my unbelief."

Comments