I Want to be Great, Too!

"He must increase, but I must decrease."  John 3:30   

I absolutely love this verse...but I have come to realize how often I change the words in my thoughts, which then translates into my actions. My "verse" says something like this: He must increase and I must increase, too. 

In a desire to please the Lord, my motives can still be misplaced. I can desire to be a fruit bearer...but then act more like I'm trying to be the vine. I can desire to shine forth the glory of Christ, but pursue wanting to be the sun instead of a sunbeam. I can desire to point people to Jesus but receive compliments and never redirect praise back to my Savior. I can desire to make much of God...while being content if others make much of me.

Don't I want to be an example, after all? Don't I want to be a faithful representative of Christ?

Somehow, at times, I believe that the best way for God to be seen as BIG means that I must be seen as great. Somehow, I think that in order for His light to be seen as magnificent, my light must brightly lead the way. Yes, I want to bear fruit. Yes, I want to grow in Christ-likeness. Yes, I want to shine like a star in the heavens and be a pleasing aroma of Him wherever I go...but, above all, I MUST pursue His glory being on display, never my own fake imitation.

Apart from Him I can do nothing and it's only in His light that I see light. There is not one drop of good in me...in fact, Scripture reminds me that even my good deeds are as filthy rags before His holiness. It's all about Him...and that is the message that you and I were made to proclaim.

"For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever. Amen." 
                                                                                                                 Romans 11:36

John the Baptist got it...and I pray our hearts do, too!


“God is the highest good of the reasonable creature. The enjoyment of him is our proper; and is the only happiness with which our souls can be satisfied. To go to heaven, fully to enjoy God, is infinitely better than the most pleasant accommodations here. Better than fathers and mothers, husbands, wives, or children, or the company of any, or all earthly friends. These are but shadows; but the enjoyment of God is the substance. These are but scattered beams; but God is the sun. These are but streams; but God is the fountain. These are but drops, but God is the ocean.”   -Jonathan Edwards

Comments