When You are Not the One Chosen

Acts 1: 21-26 shares the account of someone being picked to replace Judas…to join the other eleven disciples to testify to the ministry and resurrection of Jesus. Two names were shared, and Matthias was picked over Joseph. 


I can’t help but wonder how Joseph would have felt: 


It’s just you and someone else. 

One will be picked, the other passed over. 

The job is exciting. It’s important. Its impact is far reaching. 

Many are watching, listening, and wanting to know.

This is the moment. The lots are cast. The decision is made.


It’s not you. 


There was only one needed. 

You were not chosen.

God wanted to use someone else for this exciting, important, impactful job. 

Many saw. Many heard. Many know. 

The moment came. The lots were cast. The decision is final. 


It’s not you. 


I can’t help but wonder…did Joseph go home discouraged and embarrassed? Did he feel inadequate and unsure? Did he doubt God’s plan and wonder at his calling? The Bible doesn’t say how he felt or the struggles he may or may not have wrestled with. Yet, we know that he was a faithful servant of the Lord Jesus (vs. 21) and  I can’t help but wonder if these were the truths that flooded his soul when the verdict came down….


God’s plan for me and someone else will not look the same…but He’ll get the glory in all of it!  

Wherever I am, God has picked my boundary lines, and they have fallen in pleasant places. 

There is no purpose more exciting, important and far-reaching than to be in the center of His will.  

Many are watching, listening and want to know if my faith is true, my love is real, and my hope is secure.

No matter the moment, no matter the decision, no matter the pain…


To live is Christ and to die is gain. 


My only true need is to be found IN Christ. 

I’ve been picked and planted to bloom where I am. 

God will fulfill all His plans for me…whether exciting or painful, big or small, impacting one life or a thousand. 

All my days, many will continue to watch, to listen, to seek to know….is Jesus enough? 

In moments of pain, in seasons of sadness, whatever may come I have but one aim….


To live is Christ and to die is gain. 

























Comments