Hanging Pictures

I have been hanging my fair share of pictures these last few days and boy are there some great reminders of Biblical truths to be found in the process. 


I can’t tell you how many times I got tired of measuring to try to get a frame even, straight or equal to another frame, so I would just “eyeball it”. Not such a good idea. In fact, all you have to do is take the pictures off of the walls and you’ll know which ones I tried to “eyeball” because there are multiple nail holes behind them! 

I couldn’t help but think how often I am prone to the same sort of reality in my daily walk. God’s Word is the measuring stick, true north, the plumb line. His ways are faithful and true every time and not even a fraction of an inch off at any time. To seek God through His Word is to know truth, to pursue truth and as a result, to be confident in each step by His grace: 

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not rely on your own understanding; in all your ways know Him and He will make your paths straight.”  Proverbs 3:5-6

Yet, how many times do I chose to forfeit so great a mercy and grace and just “eyeball it”?! I don’t get up when my alarm goes off and miss sweet fellowship in His Word. I miss having my mind renewed and my heart strengthened. I miss the wisdom of the One who knows all things. Or how many times do I “eyeball it” in a decision that needs to be made or a conversation that takes place instead of taking it all to the Lord in prayer and meditating on His Truth. I end up with “holes” in my life that don’t look so pretty and need to be repented of. 

But there is hope…MUCH hope! I love how God describes Jesus in Ephesians 1:23. He is “the fullness (of the One) who fills all things in every way”. We actually started out with a hole so big it was impossible to fill or fix on our own. Our sin created a chasm between us and holy God that we could not bridge. Jesus’s death on the cross paid the penalty our sin incurred and appeased the wrath of God that was justly directed at us. And His atoning work continues today. He saved us from our sin and He continues to save us from our sin and forgive us. He fills the holes and aligns our life to conform to His image. 

The pictures He is hanging on the walls of our hearts and lives are more beautiful than we could ever comprehend because they tell the story of His redeeming work. They speak of His mercies. They shout the glory of His saving grace in jars of clay like us! 

So, may we not be those who try to “eyeball it” but those who fix our eyes on Jesus as He has revealed Himself in His Word. Only then will we “be steadfast, immovable, always excelling in the Lord’s work, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.” I Corinthians 15:58

“For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever. Amen.” Romans 11:36 




Comments

Naomi said…
Thank you sweet friend! Love you so much and was so blessed by this reminder. <3